A friend of mine, who also happens to be a reader of the blog, is going to attend a family member's wedding, and she picked up this gorgeous saree to wear for the party. She'd asked me for suggestions regarding makeup to pair with this dress,and suggestions about what products to use, and this is what I came up with.This is the saree that she is going to wear. The border is actually red but it appears a little pink in the photo below.
The makeup I settled upon:
Because my friend uses makeup sparingly, I didn't want to bother her with too intricate details or complex eye makeup. She's an easy, on-the-go kind of person and I designed the makeup keeping her simplicity in mind.
For even the simplest of makeup to look good, it's important that the base is done right,and that's one area when I've given the maximum attention. I chose for healthy,glowing and radiant skin with soft eye makeup and a deep Red lip.
So this is how the makeup turned out to be:
And here's the whole plethora of makeup that I used:
And now the makeup breakdown PLUS alternatives that you can use.
- For FACE:
- DEBORAH MILANO 24ORE perfect PRIMER : An excellent primer that I'm loving these days. Alternatively, you may use any other primer that you have/like. Another suggestion is Bourjois Flower Perfection Translucent Smoothing primer. Both of these are easily available across Bourjois or DEBORAH MILANO Counters(both are priced around Rs 600-700)
- Kryolan Dermacolor Camouflage Creme Palette: My concealer concerns have come to rest ever since I bought this palette. Easily available at Kryolan Stores, this palette has an Orange Corrector (for dark areas, like under eye area, pigmentation etc), Green corrector, for pimples and any other red discoloration, and three shades of concealers, out of which D5 is an exact match for my skin. Alternatively, you can also buy an Orange corrector and a concealer exactly matching your skin in two separate refills.(The palette costed around Rs1500 I think, while individual refills are around Rs300). Alternatively , you can buy Inglot Concealer Refills at the same price, but they are more creamy, and not as suitable for Oily skin as these.
- ESTEE LAUDER Stay-in-Place Makeup(Shell Beige): Officially, my favorite foundation, I can't rave enough about it. It's an exact match to my skin, and it stays and stays on and on without making my skin Oily or greasy or anything. For my combination skin, this is the BEST foundation I have ever used. You can use your favorite foundation or try DEBORAH MILANO's Range of foundations for Oily skin. Those are great too, and yes, the Lakme Absolute Face Stylist Foundations are also making a mark these days, so go out and check what suits you best. I would suggest using a liquid , water based foundation, simply because in my experience, they are easier to blend over concealers, without displacing any product underneath.(Options; Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-In-Place Makeup: Rs 2790, Revlon Photoready Foundations,Lakme Absolute Face Stylist Foundation,Deborah Milano 24ORE Foundations : All of these are priced between Rs 1000-1200!)
- Sleek Face Form in Light: This has a contouring Powder, a Highlighting Powder,and the Sleek Blush in Rose Gold. Alternatively, you can use Inglot Blush Refill #41, which also acts as a great Contouring powder, but needs to be used sparingly since Inglot one is too pigmented. For a highlighter, a powder highlighter works best for combination skin, so you may either get a separate face highlighting powder or even an eyeshadow in a highlight shade works well!!
- Blush: When sporting a Red Lip, a Blush in a deep warm Rosy-Peach tone works well, and that's why I have used Inglot Face Blush Refill #30(For both Contour and Highlighting powders,and a Blush, please visit the Inglot Store, they have a wide variety of shades and textures to choose from and are easy on the pocket too ), Inglot Face Blush Refills : Rs 400
- Define your brows: : Use and eyebrow pencil or a powder eyeshadow in a Dark matte brown shade to fill your brows and brush them with an old and washed mascara brush. Well defined and shapely brows can totally take your eye makeup to another level. I used Rimmel Eyebrow Pencil in dark brown here.
- Prime: I used Urban Decay Primer Potion (Original)). You may use any eye primer that you have or like, apply all over lid until the brow bone area and along the lower lash line.Inglot and M.A.C. both make eye primers, Revlon does too, so try all before you buy!
- Begin by highlighting. I used Inglot Freedom system eyeshadow in Pearl 397 to highlight the brow bone area. you may also use the same eyeshadow as a highlighter along the bridge of the nose and on the cheekbone area to give it a lift.. I then used Inglot Double Sparkle 474 (a bright sunny yellow), on the inner corner of the eye to highlight.
- Take a matte brown eyeshadow like M.A.C. Folie to define the crease area of the eye.
- Apply a Rose-Gold eyeshadow like M.A.C. Expensive Pink or Inglot Pearl 407 on the klids leaving the outer 1/3rd of the lid.
- Use a black eyeshadow like Inglot AMC 63 on the outer corner sparingly to create a soft smoke.
- Apply Lakme Eyeconic Kajal closely along the upper lash line and on the waterline. On the waterline, set the Kajal with a black shadow and a small angled brush for more intense color that will surely last you for long too.
- Finish the look with several coats of your favorite mascara. Maybelline Falsies Mascara is a great option to try .
And a closer look at the eye makeup:
- Bourjois Lip Pencil in #20 Rouge Seduction
- M.A.C. Retro Matte Lipstick RiRi Woo (Limited Edition): If you haven't been able to lay hands on this, try Ruby Woo, or Viva Glam I, or Maybe M.A.C. Red(It comes with Satin Finish, and is not as matte as the others!!) too. Alternatively, you may pick up Deborah Milano Atomic Red Mat #05 which is a gorgeous matte red lipstick too, or Maybe Avon's Cherry Red, Or Lakme Absolute Red Carpet, Or Bobbi Brown Creamy Matte Lipstick in Red Carpet ...there are so many beautiful Red lipsticks calling you out there. Go out and take your pick ! ;)
And some tools that I used to achieve this look:
- The Body Shop Foundation Brush
- Kryolan Blending brush
- Coastal Scents Blending brush, Small angled brush, Eyeshadow shader brush.
Hope you like it. Criticism, both positive and negative is welcome, so please feel free to comment about what you feel about this look. Thanks! :)